Friday 8 January 2016

Compliments

 
I don't get complimented all that often, but when I do I always find it difficult. A lot of this is down to bullying in the past. More often than not the bad stuff sticks and never leaves you. There could be something someone said years ago and it will pop in your head randomly and you wonder why. Then you realise its because someone said something really lovely to you. But because you've been sitting there with these other thoughts, you just don't believe the good ones.

People always say you could been given all the compliments in the world and its the bad ones that stay with you. This is completely true, when friends, family or anyone else say something nice I never believe it. I will always shrug it off or just say thanks without really thinking about it.

I drew this quick sketch to anyone who doesn't understand what I'm trying to put across.

 
 It feels like you are in a box, one that stops the positive things getting through. To anyone in a similar position, next time you get a compliment write it down, screenshot the text or message. So whenever the bad stuff does creep in you can push it right back down again. Compliments could be anything from being called pretty to being told you make them smile. Because being able to cheer someone up always means something. Whether this is because I personally don't feel in any way attractive or just because a smile can change anyone's day, I'm not sure. But what I do know is this:

Whilst you may not be able to break through the box just yet, you will one day, because the bullies of your past will never win.

No comments:

Post a Comment